Sunday, September 2, 2012

Bipolar Disorder: Manic Gene is discovered.

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report_manic-gene-in-people-suffering-from-bipolar-disorder-deciphered_1735527

According to the article, researchers from the University of Bonn and the Central Institute of Mental Health in Mannheim found the cause of manic episodes in bipolar disorder. It is called the NCAN gene. In their data, they found a correlation between the gene and the manic symptoms of bipolar disorder. Conversely, it has no correlation with the depressive symptoms. Using animal testing (mice) and lithium, they found a correlation in their behavior with human behavior. 

This research will definitely be beneficial for future projects. Having found the root cause of the disorder, maybe better therapy or medications will be provided to those suffering from the disorder. I remember back in my middle school in Northern Virginia, one of my classmates was actually diagnosed with bipolar disorder. We never really saw much of the symptoms because she was often a happy person. However, sometimes, for days at a time, she would miss school and we would not see her. Hopefully, with research such as this, her disorder will be better treated, and possibly even cured.

How about everyone else? How do you think this would contribute to diagnosing, preventing, or curing the disorder? Do you know anyone that has been diagnosed with the disorder?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely think that this is a wonderful research article. My grandmother suffers from bipolar disorder. She can't seem to find a suitable mixture of therapy and medicines. If the gene can be be isolated perhaps it could be altered or eliminated. Great article!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is very interesting, especially in that the NCAN gene only affects one part of bipolar disorder. I agree that this study has definitely produced information that will certainly be helpful in providing help to those diagnosed with this disorder. It just goes under the principle that it is always easier to solve a problem when you know what is causing it.

    After I read your analysis, I read the article as well. I don't know if you went to find the actual study rather than the article, but I was confused at one point (I didn't look it up, though). The article says that the researchers "knocked out" the NCAN gene in mice and they exhibited manic behaviors to a higher degree than normal. I suppose when I first read the analysis, I assumed that the gene worked to produce those manic periods (to provide relief from those depressive periods). The article makes it seem like it is, in fact, reigning those symptoms in.

    I've never really known someone with bipolar disorder, but I had always kind of thought that the manic periods were really nothing to worry about--just the depressive states. I suppose you can have too much happy though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this finding is extremely beneficial. While it is unfortunate that we still only know the cause of half of the symptoms of this disorder, depression is a disorder that is much more easily combatted than manic episodes. If the manic episodes could be eliminated, or even more effectively contained, then the individual could focus on overcoming their depressive symptoms. All in all, although only half of the cause has been found, that makes the entire disorder half as overwhelming for those suffering through it.

    ReplyDelete